Cellular operator Cellnet has axed John Cleese and Ronnie Corbett from its ad campaign and sent its agency back to the drawing board in a branding and marketing strategy rethink.
Abbott Mead Vickers.BBDO had already completed new work for the mobile phone service but this has been dropped. Cellnet now wants to create a stronger brand image.
“There was nothing wrong with the campaign, just that it pro- moted mobile phones generically and the need to do that has passed,” says a company spokesman.
He says the company now plans to “relaunch the Cellnet brand”, and will follow a similar strategy to rival Orange by promoting the benefits of a Cellnet connection.
The new creative work will air in September to coincide with a new tariff structure. The company will be the first to offer reduced local call charges regardless of location. Rival schemes only offer local call rates if the caller is within a certain area.
Cellnet is also abandoning its two-tier tariff structure for a more flexible three-tier structure. This will launch on July 3.
In a separate move, Cellnet has had to make hasty changes to its press ads, which feature rugby player Max Burito. The ads have been withdrawn after Burito was paralysed in a World Cup game.