Magazines overspill into Europe

Media owners, facing saturated UK markets, are eyeing the rest of Europe for ad revenue.

Magazines are flourishing. Total expenditure on display advertising will reach $180bn (117bn) this year – double the 1985 figure.

Expenditure on consumer magazines alone has risen from $16bn (10bn) to a predicted $25bn (16bn) over the same period, according to a recent report from Carat.

The number of magazines continues to rise steadily. In Europe, there are more than 39,000 titles, 10,000 of which are considered “key” by advertisers. Growth continues to be rapid. In 1993 alone 3,000 trade and technical titles and 2,000 consumer magazines were launched.

But press advertising in general has been hit by the recession, growing competition from other media – notably broadcasting – and more recently, soaring paper costs.

Newspapers have suffered a reduction in classified ads, but a reduction in print’s share of total ad expenditure poses a greater threat to magazines.

Even so, print still dominates many national markets. Last year, magazines took a 22 per cent share of all ad expenditure in Europe, compared with newspapers’ 27 per cent. But though newspapers and magazines together take 49 per cent of total display expenditure in Europe, in ten of the 16 major markets the figure is more than 50 per cent.

Magazine advertising is more established in some markets than others, the Carat report shows.

In the Asia-Pacific region, magazines take only a seven per cent share of display advertising, whereas the figure is 14 per cent in North America and 21 per cent in Europe. In Ireland, magazine ad expenditure is, on average, $5 (3.2) per head per year; in Germany it is $48 (31).

National markets are also characterised by distinct differences in advertising, buying practices and readership patterns.

The Carat report says that whereas 30 per cent of British males admit to reading women’s magazines, in Greece only eight per cent do so.

Tastes in television guides are equally polarised. These are read by 12 per cent of Swedish women but by 84 per cent of females in Austria.

“For the advertiser, this means it is simply not possible to buy 200 gross rating points (GRPs) across different European markets and expect to get the same results,” says Carat head of European research Kerry Jonas.

“For example, in Spain 200 GRPs in women’s monthlies would result in 25 per cent coverage of the market, but it would give you more than 40 per cent in France and Germany.”

Yet all European markets have one thing in common: they are geographical new business areas for foreign publishers. Faced by approaching saturation in their domestic markets, media owners are looking further afield. It is a trend likely to continue.

Latest from Marketing Week

Influencers, consultancies and the recruitment crisis: The key topics of conversation at Cannes Lions

cannes lions

Cannes Lions 2018: Marketers turned out in force to advertising’s biggest annual event. But away from the usual talk of purpose and creativity, some big issues such as the recruitment crisis, how advertising responds to the #MeToo movement and cleaning up the influencer marketing space were discussed.


Access Marketing Week’s wealth of insight, analysis and opinion that will help you do your job better.

Register and receive the best content from the only UK title 100% dedicated to serving marketers' needs.

We’ll ask you just a few questions about what you do and where you work. The more we know about our visitors, the better and more relevant content we can provide for them. And, yes, knowing our audience better helps us find commercial partners too. Don't worry, we won't share your information with other parties, unless you give us permission to do so.

Register now


Our award winning editorial team (PPA Digital Brand of the Year) ask the big questions about the biggest issues on everything from strategy through to execution to help you navigate the fast moving modern marketing landscape.


From the opportunities and challenges of emerging technology to the need for greater effectiveness, from the challenge of measurement to building a marketing team fit for the future, we are your guide.


Information, inspiration and advice from the marketing world and beyond that will help you develop as a marketer and as a leader.

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3703 or email

If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here