The future of the Total Home Entertainment (THE) account at J Walter Thompson Manchester is hanging in the balance following a series of acrimonious exchanges between THE and the agency’s London offices.
The confusion over the account’s future follows JWT London’s resignation of the Nintendo UK account last week (MW September 15) which is controlled by THE (MW August 4).
THE is understood to be angered by comments made by JWT about THE in the wake of the resignation. In a statement, JWT chief executive Dominic Procter says THE did not share the agency’s belief that “it is vital to take a long term view of both the market, and …the marketing of a brand”. Procter is referring to THE’s decision to make JWT repitch for the Nintendo advertising account next year.
Although the 500,000 branding work is not connected to Nintendo, THE is understood to have met its agency and threatened to withdraw the account. There is some confusion over the outcome of the meeting.
In a statement yesterday (Tuesday), THE said it had dismissed the Manchester agency. But, despite earlier confirmation from JWT Manchester that it has lost the account, it made a statement as Marketing Week went to press claiming the outcome of the talks was amicable and the account was safe.