Sopexa marketing chief walks out over cutbacks

The UK marketing director of Sopexa, the consultancy body for the French food and wine industry, has resigned because of cutbacks in her budget.

Nicola Peers left the company late last week. Two more junior members of the marketing staff of 20 will also leave.

A Sopexa source says: “The company is going through financial problems. The strength of the pound does not help.”

Sopexa handles a range of French produce including Vin de Pays wines, Côtes du Rhone, French cheeses, AOC wines, and a variety of apples under the brand name Le Crunch.

The company is 30 per cent-owned by the French Ministry of Agriculture; the other 70 per cent is in the hands of private investors.

Peers joined the company seven years ago as a marketing manager. She has been marketing director for the past six years.

She does not have a job to go to, but she is understood to be looking at marketing roles outside food and drink, and is also keen to take up a post with an international focus.

Sopexa was formerly called Food & Wine From France, and has 40 offices in 34 countries.

In total, it has about 50 clients, and its other activities include public relations, promotions, direct marketing, exhibitions, tastings and sponsorship.

Latest from Marketing Week

NOT REGISTERED? IT'S FREE, QUICK AND EASY!

Access Marketing Week’s wealth of insight, analysis and opinion that will help you do your job better.

Register and receive the best content from the only UK title 100% dedicated to serving marketers' needs.

We’ll ask you just a few questions about what you do and where you work. The more we know about our visitors, the better and more relevant content we can provide for them. And, yes, knowing our audience better helps us find commercial partners too. Don't worry, we won't share your information with other parties, unless you give us permission to do so.

Register now

THE BEST CONTENT

Our award winning editorial team (PPA Digital Brand of the Year) ask the big questions about the biggest issues on everything from strategy through to execution to help you navigate the fast moving modern marketing landscape.

THE BIGGEST ISSUES

From the opportunities and challenges of emerging technology to the need for greater effectiveness, from the challenge of measurement to building a marketing team fit for the future, we are your guide.

PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Information, inspiration and advice from the marketing world and beyond that will help you develop as a marketer and as a leader.

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3711 or email subscriptions@marketingweek.com

If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here