McVitie’s Prepared Foods has confirmed that it will continue to manufacture Linda McCartney’s veg- etarian food range despite her death late last week. But it has pulled a 3m ad campaign for the range which broke last month.
In a statement, the United Biscuits-owned company says the future of the Linda McCartney brand is assured after consultation with her family.
A spokesman says: “Linda has been responsible for establishing one of the UK’s most significant food trends of the decade. She was the inspiration for millions of people who have either ‘gone veggie’ or reduced the amount of meat in their diet.
“We have been informed that the family are determined to continue the development and expansion of Linda’s meat-free brand that she loved and believed in so passionately, and we will be working closely with them to ensure these wishes are carried out.”
The range was extended last month with meat-free international dishes and last week a dessert range was unveiled. However, the ad campaign by RPM3 has been pulled.
The Vegetarian Society will dedicate National Vegetarian Week from June 1 to 7 to the memory of Lady McCartney, its patron.
Sir Paul McCartney has requested that people pledge their support for his wife by switching to vegetarianism and contributing to animal rights charities or cancer research, rather than spending money on flowers.