BA right to fly the flag again

In response to Dorothy Mackenzie’s letter regarding BA’s decision to fly the flag once more (MW June 17), I find her suggestion that the airline’s customers are wrong to be foolhardy, if not a little arrogant. BA is right to respond in the way that it has because those companies that fail to react to their customers’ wishes do so at their own peril.

The real problem is that BA has not gone far enough. According to Martin George’s bewildering performance on BBC’s Newsnight, the new flag design will only be applied to 40 per cent of tail-fins while the ethnic designs are to remain on the other 60 per cent. To operate any company with what is effectively two identities has to be absurd. No wonder Richard Branson appeared to enjoy the programme so much.

When I met BA’s design team last year, I said then that it would have to begin a climbdown within 12 months. I was right and I think I will be proved right again when I say that it will have to complete that climbdown by dispensing with the ethnic tailplanes altogether within the next 12 months.

I am all for Dorothy Mackenzie’s vision of a New Britain but that can best be represented around the world through a single, strong and highly respected image. For BA, that has to be the Union Jack.

BA will no doubt continue to show due respect to the many cultures it serves through its choice of ethnic cabin crews, catering, inflight entertainment and so on. If flying the flag (by means of a very attractive tail-fin design) is to undermine those who dare to be innovative, then perhaps whoever she is thinking of is in the wrong business.

Mike Reed

MRP

Surrey

Latest from Marketing Week

Marketoonist on PowerPoint pitches

The Marketoonist

Tom Fishburne is founder of Marketoon Studios. Follow his work at marketoonist.com or on Twitter @tomfishburne See more of the Marketoonist here Tom Fishburne will be speaking at the Festival of Marketing, which is taking place on 4 and 5 October at Tobacco Dock. To find out more information, including how to book tickets, visit […]

PLEASE SIGN IN OR REGISTER. IT'S FREE, QUICK AND EASY!

Access Marketing Week’s wealth of insight, analysis and inspiration that will help you develop as a marketer and leader.

Register and receive the best content from the only title 100% dedicated to serving marketers' needs.

We’ll ask you just a few questions about what you do and where you work, so we can make Marketing Week more relevant to you.

Register now

THE BEST CONTENT

Our award winning editorial team and columnists will ask the biggest questions about the biggest issues on everything from strategy through to execution to help you navigate the fast moving modern marketing landscape.

THE BIGGEST ISSUES

From the opportunities and challenges of emerging technology to the need for greater effectiveness, from the challenge of measurement to building a marketing team fit for the future, we will be your guide.

PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Information, inspiration and advice from the marketing world and beyond that will help you develop as a marketer and as a leader.

Dedicated to developing your skills and helping you achieve marketing excellence. Find guidance on leadership, professional development and the latest industry jobs.

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3711 or email subscriptions@marketingweek.com

If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here