The Macallan picks global malt marketer

Highland Distillers has appointed Matthew Turner as global marketing controller for its flagship single malt, the Macallan. The brand recently launched its biggest US advertising campaign so far, worth $3.5m (&£2.4m).

The Macallan sells about 250,000 cases a year worldwide. Its biggest market is the US, followed by the UK and then Italy. A spokeswoman says there has been no above-the-line advertising in the UK for some years and there are no plans for any UK advertising this calendar year.

Turner, who starts in October, joins from Imperial Tobacco, where he was marketing manager for Eastern Europe and Russia. He will report to global brands director Ken Grier.

The position has been vacant since April, when previous incumbent Murray Calder was promoted to global marketing controller for The Famous Grouse. He replaced Ian Greig, who moved to a new job as Highland Distillers regional director for the Americas (MW April 18).

Highland Distillers is co-owned by The Edrington Group, which has 70 per cent of the shares, and William Grant & Son, which has the remaining 30 per cent. In addition to The Macallan, it owns The Famous Grouse, Highland Park and Black Bottle whiskies and Gloag’s London Dry Gin.

Along with Remy Cointreau, Fortune Brands/Jim Beam and Swedish spirits group Vin & Sprit, Highland Distillers owns distributor Maxxium Worldwide, which handles its brands everywhere except the US. In the US, it is distributed by Remy Cointreau.

Latest from Marketing Week

NOT REGISTERED? IT'S FREE, QUICK AND EASY!

Access Marketing Week’s wealth of insight, analysis and opinion that will help you do your job better.

Register and receive the best content from the only UK title 100% dedicated to serving marketers' needs.

We’ll ask you just a few questions about what you do and where you work. The more we know about our visitors, the better and more relevant content we can provide for them. And, yes, knowing our audience better helps us find commercial partners too. Don't worry, we won't share your information with other parties, unless you give us permission to do so.

Register now

THE BEST CONTENT

Our award winning editorial team (PPA Digital Brand of the Year) ask the big questions about the biggest issues on everything from strategy through to execution to help you navigate the fast moving modern marketing landscape.

THE BIGGEST ISSUES

From the opportunities and challenges of emerging technology to the need for greater effectiveness, from the challenge of measurement to building a marketing team fit for the future, we are your guide.

PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Information, inspiration and advice from the marketing world and beyond that will help you develop as a marketer and as a leader.

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3703 or email customerservices@marketingweek.com

If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here