Gcap takes full control of Classic Gold

GCap Media is launching a single classic hits network after taking full control of the 18 Classic Gold AM radio stations by buying out joint venture partner UBC Media for £3.95m.

The Capital Radio owner says it plans to merge the Classic Gold services with its existing Capital Gold stations.

Gcap Media chief executive Ralph Bernard says the company supports Ofcom’s announcement that it is considering a switch-off date for the AM signal because it would accelerate the uptake of digital audio broadcasting (DAB).

“Acquiring these stations will enable us to create a single classic hits network with the potential to become a fast-growing national brand as audiences increasingly migrate to digital platforms,” he says.

Classic Gold Digital was a joint venture between UBC Media, which had 80% and Gcap Media who owned the remaining 20%.

Latest from Marketing Week

NOT REGISTERED? IT'S FREE, QUICK AND EASY!

Access Marketing Week’s wealth of insight, analysis and opinion that will help you do your job better.

Register and receive the best content from the only UK title 100% dedicated to serving marketers' needs.

We’ll ask you just a few questions about what you do and where you work. The more we know about our visitors, the better and more relevant content we can provide for them. And, yes, knowing our audience better helps us find commercial partners too. Don't worry, we won't share your information with other parties, unless you give us permission to do so.

Register now

THE BEST CONTENT

Our award winning editorial team (PPA Digital Brand of the Year) ask the big questions about the biggest issues on everything from strategy through to execution to help you navigate the fast moving modern marketing landscape.

THE BIGGEST ISSUES

From the opportunities and challenges of emerging technology to the need for greater effectiveness, from the challenge of measurement to building a marketing team fit for the future, we are your guide.

PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Information, inspiration and advice from the marketing world and beyond that will help you develop as a marketer and as a leader.

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3711 or email subscriptions@marketingweek.com

If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here