The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea has come out in support of Porsche in its fight against the congestion charge increase. The German car marque has applied for a judicial review into plans to increase the charge to £25-a-day for the highest polluting vehicles and the borough has registered as an interested party.
Transport for London predicts up to 22,000 fewer cars will come into the congestion charge zone once the new charge comes into force on October 27. But Porsche says the charges are “disproportionate” and “unjust” and will not decrease emissions in central London (MW.co.uk, February 19).
The company officially applied for the judicial review on April 2 and Porsche Cars GB managing director Andy Goss says: “I am pleased that Kensington and Chelsea has joined us in our fight against this unfair, counter-productive tax against motorists. It is becoming increasingly clear that Londoners are rejecting this unfair £25 charge that will likely make congestion and the environment worse than it is today.”
The congestion charge zone was extended to Kensington and Chelsea in February last year.