Lufthansa poised to take over UK carrier BMI

German airline Lufthansa is poised to take over UK carrier BMI in a deal worth 300. The move has prompted rival Virgin Atlantic to propose combining its operations with Lufthansa to create a European super-carrier.

bmi.gifGerman airline Lufthansa is poised to take over UK carrier BMI in a deal worth £300. The move has prompted rival Virgin Atlantic to propose combining its operations with Lufthansa to create a European super-carrier.

Lufthansa, which already had a 30% stake, now owns 80% of BMI, the former British Midland, and is expected to make a bid for the remaining 20%, which is owned by Scandinavian Airlines (SAS). SAS has put both the stake and itself up for sale.

The German airline will control the 11% of slots at London’s Heathrow airport that is currently held by BMI, which would position Lufthansa as the second biggest airline operator in the UK after British Airways.

Separately, Lufthansa today (October 29) reported a 75% drop in net profit for the third quarter ending September because of high fuel prices. The latest quarterly results push down its net profits for first nine months of 2008 to 65.1%. The airline also cut its full-year operating profit target to Û1.1 billion from Û1.38 billion.

Latest from Marketing Week

NOT REGISTERED? IT'S FREE, QUICK AND EASY!

Access Marketing Week’s wealth of insight, analysis and opinion that will help you do your job better.

Register and receive the best content from the only UK title 100% dedicated to serving marketers' needs.

We’ll ask you just a few questions about what you do and where you work. The more we know about our visitors, the better and more relevant content we can provide for them. And, yes, knowing our audience better helps us find commercial partners too. Don't worry, we won't share your information with other parties, unless you give us permission to do so.

Register now

THE BEST CONTENT

Our award winning editorial team (PPA Digital Brand of the Year) ask the big questions about the biggest issues on everything from strategy through to execution to help you navigate the fast moving modern marketing landscape.

THE BIGGEST ISSUES

From the opportunities and challenges of emerging technology to the need for greater effectiveness, from the challenge of measurement to building a marketing team fit for the future, we are your guide.

PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Information, inspiration and advice from the marketing world and beyond that will help you develop as a marketer and as a leader.

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3711 or email subscriptions@marketingweek.com

If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here