Digital TV take-up nearly at 90%

Take-up of multichannel television on main sets in UK households increased to 89.6% in the first quarter of 2009, up by 0.7 percentage points from the last quarter of 2008, according to latest Ofcom figures.

Ofcom’s Digital Progress Report for the first quarter of 2009 showed the penetration figures up 2.4 percent year on year.

With the TV analogue signal due to be turned off in 2012, a majority of main household sets are now able to receive digital TV and many consumers are now converting additional sets in the home. The report shows 61% of all secondary TV sets had been converted to multichannel by the end of Q1, up by around 8 percentage points in a year.

Taking these figures together, the report shows 73% of all TV sets had converted to multichannel television by the end of Q1 2009. The remaining 27% of sets continue to receive analogue terrestrial broadcasts.

Freeview is still the most widely-used service on main sets and accounted for around 9.8 million or 38.5 percent of homes in the period surveyed. The number of homes using DTT on any set in the home reached almost 18 million or 70 percent in the first quarter of 2009, up by around 313,000 on the previous quarter.

Sales of digital terrestrial television DTT-enabled equipment in the first quarter reached almost 3.4 million units which is an increase of seven percent on the same period of the previous year. Integrated Digital TVs accounted for almost 73 percent of sales in the quarter, 2.5 million units, with around 93 percent of TV sets sold now being digital.

Latest from Marketing Week

NOT REGISTERED? IT'S FREE, QUICK AND EASY!

Access Marketing Week’s wealth of insight, analysis and opinion that will help you do your job better.

Register and receive the best content from the only UK title 100% dedicated to serving marketers' needs.

We’ll ask you just a few questions about what you do and where you work. The more we know about our visitors, the better and more relevant content we can provide for them. And, yes, knowing our audience better helps us find commercial partners too. Don't worry, we won't share your information with other parties, unless you give us permission to do so.

Register now

THE BEST CONTENT

Our award winning editorial team (PPA Digital Brand of the Year) ask the big questions about the biggest issues on everything from strategy through to execution to help you navigate the fast moving modern marketing landscape.

THE BIGGEST ISSUES

From the opportunities and challenges of emerging technology to the need for greater effectiveness, from the challenge of measurement to building a marketing team fit for the future, we are your guide.

PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Information, inspiration and advice from the marketing world and beyond that will help you develop as a marketer and as a leader.

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3703 or email customerservices@marketingweek.com

If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here