Facebook suffers loss of trust as consumers wary of posting

Trust in the companies running social networks is low, leading many consumers to think twice before posting online.

According to research carried out by InSites Consulting among internet users, only 23 per cent of UK users of Facebook trust the company, compared to 40 per cent who do not. By contrast, 35 per cent of users trust LinkedIn, against 17 per cent who do not.

“Consumers hear many stories concerning the privacy policies these companies have in place, though the actual situation is often somewhat ambiguous.This ambiguity makes things difficult for the consumer, which seemingly leads to a relatively low level of trust in their favourite sites.” says Steven Van Belleghem, managing partner, InSites Consulting.

These concerns are translating into caution about the information consumers are willing to post, with 81 per cent saying they think twice, 79 per cent becoming more selective in the friends they will accept and 74 per cent thinking about which pictures to post online.

Even so, consumers are being more careless with their online data than they should be, since 87 per cent indicate a strong correspondence between their online and offline identities.  The other 13 per cent admit to having adopted a different person entirely.

Latest from Marketing Week

NOT REGISTERED? IT'S FREE, QUICK AND EASY!

Access Marketing Week’s wealth of insight, analysis and opinion that will help you do your job better.

Register and receive the best content from the only UK title 100% dedicated to serving marketers' needs.

We’ll ask you just a few questions about what you do and where you work. The more we know about our visitors, the better and more relevant content we can provide for them. And, yes, knowing our audience better helps us find commercial partners too. Don't worry, we won't share your information with other parties, unless you give us permission to do so.

Register now

THE BEST CONTENT

Our award winning editorial team (PPA Digital Brand of the Year) ask the big questions about the biggest issues on everything from strategy through to execution to help you navigate the fast moving modern marketing landscape.

THE BIGGEST ISSUES

From the opportunities and challenges of emerging technology to the need for greater effectiveness, from the challenge of measurement to building a marketing team fit for the future, we are your guide.

PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Information, inspiration and advice from the marketing world and beyond that will help you develop as a marketer and as a leader.

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3711 or email subscriptions@marketingweek.com

If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here