To read the cover story relating to this, Young, connected and Muslim click here
For more expert opinions on marketing to Muslims from leading Muslim business people click here
To read HSBC Amanah, head of global marketing, Mohammed Ismaeel’s viewpoint click here
To explore Chicken Cottage, a Muslim brand’s case study
Muslim consumers: the facts
- Most Muslims feel ignored by mainstream brands, according to research carried out by agency JWT.
- Halal is worth $634bn (£432bn) which is 16% of the global food market, according to Nestlé.
- There are 1.57 billion Muslims living in the world today, according to the US’ Pew Business Center.
- There are about 1.8 million Muslims living in the UK.
- Islamic products and services that conform to Islamic Law are worth $2 trillion (£1.3 trillion) annually.
- 74% of Muslims aged between 16 and 24 define themselves by faith and not race, according to Home Office research carried out in 2004.
- Nestlé has a SFr 5.3bn (£3.2bn) turnover in Halal products globally.
- In Europe, Nestlé’s sales of Halal food reached SFr 55m (£33.3m) in 2008.
- l Muslims are predicated to account for 30% of the world’s population by 2025.