Thomas Cook and Co-op Travel to merge

Thomas Cook and The Co-operative Group are merging their travel operations to form the largest high street travel operator in the UK.


Both travel brands will retain their branding but 70 outlets Going Places, Thomas Cook’s subsidiary brand will be rebanded under the Co-operative Travel brand.

The network will include 1,204 high street travel agencies.

Thomas Cook will hold 70% of the joint venture and The Co-op travel will hold the remaining 30%.

Thomas Cook’s online business is not included in the deal and will operate independently from the retail function.

Peter Marks, group CEO of The Co-operative Group, says: “This brings together two of the industry’s most trusted brands. This deal is in line with our wider strategy to grow our businesses through merger and acquisition.”

The new business will be chaired by Manny Fontenla-Novoa with Ian Derbyshire as CEO.

Latest from Marketing Week


Access Marketing Week’s wealth of insight, analysis and opinion that will help you do your job better.

Register and receive the best content from the only UK title 100% dedicated to serving marketers' needs.

We’ll ask you just a few questions about what you do and where you work. The more we know about our visitors, the better and more relevant content we can provide for them. And, yes, knowing our audience better helps us find commercial partners too. Don't worry, we won't share your information with other parties, unless you give us permission to do so.

Register now


Our award winning editorial team (PPA Digital Brand of the Year) ask the big questions about the biggest issues on everything from strategy through to execution to help you navigate the fast moving modern marketing landscape.


From the opportunities and challenges of emerging technology to the need for greater effectiveness, from the challenge of measurement to building a marketing team fit for the future, we are your guide.


Information, inspiration and advice from the marketing world and beyond that will help you develop as a marketer and as a leader.

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3711 or email

If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here