Simon King will join the Wal-Mart owned supermarket in January 2011 and take over responsibility for all retail and supply chain operations including distribution, customer service and internal communications.
King is currently chief executive of supermarket and hypermarket operator Panda Retail, a subsidiary of Saudi Arabian conglomerate The Savola Group.
King was previously CEO of Tesco Kipa in Turkey and has run Tesco’s international operations in South Korea, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland and Hungary.
King is the latest appointment to the Asda executive management team following Andy Bond’s move to become part-time chairman of the Asda executive committee in April.
Asda has also promoted its director of marketing strategy Jon Owen to marketing director replacing Mark Sinnock, who left the company in June.
Asda’s full executive committee is made up of:
- Andy Clarke, president & CEO
- Rick Bendel, international chief marketing officer
- Doug Gurr, executive development director
- Simon King, chief operating officer
- Chet Kuchinad, people director
- Judith McKenna, chief financial officer
- Andrew Moore, executive managing director, George
- Charles Redfield, chief merchandising officer