M&S says sustainability “good for business”

Marks & Spencer has claimed that its Plan A eco programme is “good for business” as it reveals that it has achieved 70 of the 180 environmental and ethical commitments set out.

/u/b/d/PlanAMandS.jpg

Sir Stuart Rose, M&S chairman, says: “By making Plan A profitable, we’ve proved that doing the right thing can be good for business as well as being good for the environment, suppliers, employees and customers. Because of this, sustainability has to be right at the top of the corporate agenda.”

In an update, M&S claims it now recycles 92% of its operational waste and is trialling ways to recycle the remaining 8% of waste to achieve its target of sending nothing to landfill by 2012.

It has also invested £3m in the Plan A Innovation Fund launched in June to finance R&D projects for new Plan A products and services.

Sir Stuart adds that the business still faces “enormous challenges” to become a sustainable business and it will encourage more of its customers to get involved with the programme.

A further 20 of its Plan A commitments will be achieved by April next year, M&S adds.

Marc Bolland, M&S chief executive, says that Plan A is integral to the business and the M&S brand and fits under the “Only at M&S” brand positioning revealed last week at the retailer’s half year results.

Latest from Marketing Week

NOT REGISTERED? IT'S FREE, QUICK AND EASY!

Access Marketing Week’s wealth of insight, analysis and opinion that will help you do your job better.

Register and receive the best content from the only UK title 100% dedicated to serving marketers' needs.

We’ll ask you just a few questions about what you do and where you work. The more we know about our visitors, the better and more relevant content we can provide for them. And, yes, knowing our audience better helps us find commercial partners too. Don't worry, we won't share your information with other parties, unless you give us permission to do so.

Register now

THE BEST CONTENT

Our award winning editorial team (PPA Digital Brand of the Year) ask the big questions about the biggest issues on everything from strategy through to execution to help you navigate the fast moving modern marketing landscape.

THE BIGGEST ISSUES

From the opportunities and challenges of emerging technology to the need for greater effectiveness, from the challenge of measurement to building a marketing team fit for the future, we are your guide.

PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Information, inspiration and advice from the marketing world and beyond that will help you develop as a marketer and as a leader.

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3711 or email subscriptions@marketingweek.com

If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here