Brands review News of the World ads after Dowler accusations

Ford has become the first brand to announce it is pulling advertising from the News of the World, while Halifax, Npower and T-Mobile are reviewing their options, following fresh hacking allegations against the newspaper.

/m/v/y/newsoftheworld160.jpg

The News of the World is alleged to have hacked and then deleted voicemails on the mobile phone of murdered teenager Milly Dowler, interfering with police inquiries into her disappearance in 2002, according to an investigation by the Guardian.

Ford says it will cease placing advertising in the News of the World until the outcome of an investigation into phone hacking there has been announced, but will continue to advertise in other News International titles.

A Ford spokesman says: “Ford is a company which cares about the standards of behaviour of its own people and those it deals with externally. We are awaiting an outcome from the News of the World investigation and expect a speedy and decisive response.”

Halifax, Npower and T-Mobile have also confirmed they are reviewing their advertising options with the paper.

A spokesman for Npower says: “We note the concerns which have arisen on the back of fresh allegations of phone hacking against the News of the World. We are currently reviewing our options.”

Activists have published lists online of recent News of the World advertisers, allowing users to tweet and e-mail the companies to ask whether they will be reconsidering their advertising campaigns with the newspaper.

A group of leading journalists, MPs and academics have also formed a campaign, dubbed Hacked Off, calling for a public inquiry into the phone hacking allegations at the Sunday tabloid.

Other advertisers with the newspaper have yet to comment on the status of their relationships with the News of the World.

Virgin Media, Tesco and Brand Alley all say they are awaiting the outcome of the investigation before taking further action.

The Co-operative, which advertised in last week’s News of the World, has said it has no plans to pull any advertising, despite the public outcry against the paper.

A spokesperson for the Co-operative says: “These are allegations. We have no plans to withdraw our advertising.”

A BT spokeswoman says the company is “not commenting” on the situation.

Earlier this year, News International apologised for hacking into the phones of celebrities including actress Sienna Miller and MP Tessa Jowell and set up a fund to compensate the victims.

News International did not respond to a request for comment in time for publication.

Recommended

/w/w/e/PretaManger.jpg

Pret’s brand promise lost in translation

Mark Ritson

You don’t need me to tell you the story of Pret a Manger. Two young graduates, frustrated with the lunch options available to them in London, borrow £25,000 in 1986 to set up a café. It eventually thrives and gradually the Pret chain takes over London and then the rest of suburban Britain. The branding […]

/m/s/q/TheApprentice.jpg

The Apprentice takes the biscuit

Marketing Week

Is it just me who thinks that the latest batch of wannabes on The Apprentice is lousy? Despite the talent drain, I continue to enjoy my weekly dose of Lord Sugar. Last week the teams were tasked with creating a new biscuit and pitching to the major multiples. I must remember to take the TV […]

Comments

    Leave a comment

    Close

    Discover even more as a subscriber

    This article is available for subscribers only.

    Sign up now for your access-all-areas pass.

    If you're an existing paid print subscriber find out how to get access here.

    Subscribers enjoy unlimited access to unrivalled coverage of the biggest issues in marketing, alongside practical advice from the digital experts at Econsultancy.

    With a subscription to Marketing Week Premium you will get full access to:

    > World-renowned columnists

    > Analysis & case studies

    > Exclusive leading-edge insight

    > Carefully curated reports & briefings from Econsultancy

    > Plus, much more including a £300 discount for the Festival of Marketing

    Subscribe now

    Got a question?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3703 or email customerservices@marketingweek.com

    If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here

    Subscribers enjoy unlimited access to unrivalled coverage of the biggest issues in marketing, alongside practical advice from the digital experts at Econsultancy.

    With a subscription to Marketing Week Premium you will get full access to:

    > World-renowned columnists

    > Analysis & case studies

    > Exclusive leading-edge insight

    > Carefully curated reports & briefings from Econsultancy

    > Plus, much more including a £300 discount for the Festival of Marketing

    Subscribe now