Companies’ Net image ‘at risk’ due to lack of dedicated staff

Most companies do not have an individual in charge of their online brand image, according to research by content management specialist Tridion.

Ironically, brand consistency is cited in the same survey as a key strategic aim for most organisations. While 77 per cent of companies with a single brand believe it is extremely important to maintain the same “look and feel” across all websites, only 24 per cent have a person assigned to that task. The other 76 per cent say there is confusion over whether the job comes under IT or marketing, meaning it is fragmented or non-existent.

Surprisingly, in one in five companies responsibility for maintaining online brand image lies with the IT director. More than 40 per cent allocate the job to the head of marketing, e-business director or media director. Some take a decentralised approach, with 37 per cent of organisations leaving regional directors or external-facing consultants to monitor consistency.

“Clearly there is some sort of gatekeeper gap occurring,” says Alun Cope-Morgan, managing director of Tridion UK.

The research was conducted by Dynamic Markets. Interviews were conducted with 110 companies with a turnover of more than £75m, across a range of industry sectors.

Comments

    Leave a comment

    Close

    Discover even more as a subscriber

    This article is available for subscribers only.

    Sign up now for your access-all-areas pass.

    If you're an existing paid print subscriber find out how to get access here.

    Subscribers enjoy unlimited access to unrivalled coverage of the biggest issues in marketing, alongside practical advice from the digital experts at Econsultancy.

    With a subscription to Marketing Week Premium you will get full access to:

    > World-renowned columnists

    > Analysis & case studies

    > Exclusive leading-edge insight

    > Carefully curated reports & briefings from Econsultancy

    > Plus, much more including a £300 discount for the Festival of Marketing

    Subscribe now

    Got a question?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3703 or email customerservices@marketingweek.com

    If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here

    Subscribers enjoy unlimited access to unrivalled coverage of the biggest issues in marketing, alongside practical advice from the digital experts at Econsultancy.

    With a subscription to Marketing Week Premium you will get full access to:

    > World-renowned columnists

    > Analysis & case studies

    > Exclusive leading-edge insight

    > Carefully curated reports & briefings from Econsultancy

    > Plus, much more including a £300 discount for the Festival of Marketing

    Subscribe now