Dome chief wields axe

New chief executive Pierre-Yves Gerbeau ousts Millennium Dome operations director Ken Robinson.

Millennium Dome chief executive Pierre-Yves Gerbeau has axed the role of operations director, squeezing out one of the project’s key executives, Ken Robinson.

Sources believe pressure is now mounting on other senior Dome executives, such as as managing director Liam Kane.

Robinson resigned as operations director on Tuesday night after Gerbeau re-organised the New Millennium Experience Company (NMEC), which runs the Dome. Under the new structure, departmental managers will report directly to him.

Robinson says: “It has been a privilege to be a member of the team which brought this marvellous project to fruition.”

NMEC chairman Bob Ayling says: “The revised organisation did not provide a role for Robinson that was commensurate with his seniority and professional expertise.”

Gerbeau was brought in as NMEC chief executive a week ago following the sacking of Jennie Page.

The Frenchman vowed to make the Dome “the hottest ticket in town”, and is planning big changes to attract more visitors.

Doubt has been cast on initial claims that Gerbeau was the man who saved Disneyland Paris after it was discovered he held a fairly junior position at the attraction.

Robinson became operations director in February 1997, and was previously chairman of the Tourism Society. He leaves with six months’ pay, plus a pension and “an additional amount subject to Millennium Commission approval”.

Further senior changes are expected at the NMEC this week.

Comments

    Leave a comment