O2 unveils refund plan after network crash

O2 has promised to refund all customers affected by last week’s network outage as the company works to restore “confidence and trust” in the brand.

O2Pic

In an apology to customers the mobile operator says all Pay Monthly customers will receive 10% off their September phone bills, while Pay & Go customers will receive 10% extra credit on their first top-up in September.

The outage was detected last week (11 July) and left many customers of O2, GiffGaff and Tesco Mobile unable to make calls or send calls for a period of about 24 hours.

O2’s apology reads: “On Wednesday of last week we experienced a fault with one of our network systems which meant that one third of our customers devices could not register correctly on our network at some point over a one-day period. As a result, those customers could have experienced difficulty when making and receiving calls, sending texts and using data.

“The issue we had was unprecedented and we recognise that this caused inconvenience and frustration for those who had a disruption in service. We have now identified all those customers directly affected (those whose devices could not connect on our system) and are giving them the equivalent of three days back for the disruption as a gesture of goodwill and to say sorry.”

Additionally, the network is offering all its customers, not just those affected, a free £10 voucher to spend in its store, or redeem using its Priority Moments app.

Marketing and consumer director Sally Cowdry told Marketing Week earlier this week that the company is now working to restore “trust and confidence”.

Perception of O2 has plummeted in the last week, according to YouGov’s Brand Index

Recommended

EDFEnergyInteriorHP

EDF Energy considers brand hubs in UK

Seb Joseph

London 2012 sponsor could open educatonal centres across the UK to show families how to be more energy efficient if the public reaction to its offical Olympic venue is postive, according to its deputy director for London 2012.

RangerHP

Tennent’s to stick by Rangers newco for now

Seb Joseph

Rangers newco sponsors Tennent’s will stick by the cash-strapped football  club for now despite a level of uncertainty over which league it will play in next season, after it was refused entry to the Scottish Premier League.

Comments

    Leave a comment

    Close

    Discover even more as a subscriber

    This article is available for subscribers only.

    Sign up now for your access-all-areas pass.

    Subscribers get unlimited access to unrivalled coverage of the biggest issues in marketing and world-renowned columnists, alongside carefully curated reports and briefings from Econsultancy. Find out more.

    If you are an existing print subscriber find out how you can get access here.

    Subscribe now

    Got a question?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3703 or email customerservices@marketingweek.com

    If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here

    Subscribers get unlimited access to unrivalled coverage of the biggest issues in marketing and world-renowned columnists, alongside carefully curated reports and briefings from Econsultancy. Find out more.

    If you are an existing print subscriber find out how you can get access here.

    Subscribe now