The value of long-term thinking has come into sharp relief following the disruption caused by the Covid-19 pandemic that characterised early 2020. Businesses that invested in digital transformation best weathered the storm, showing the clear benefit of developing a future strategy.
This quick guide, an abridged version of Econsultancy’s Developing Future Strategy: Long-Term Thinking for Marketers Best Practice Guide, looks at the steps that businesses can take to ensure they are ready to take advantage of the opportunities, and navigate the challenges, that may come from an uncertain future. It covers:
- Defining ‘long term’: How does the advancement of technology and the impact of global events challenge the way marketers should think about time?
- Future readiness: From delivering greater returns to taking a longer-term view of the role of marketing, what are some of the ways in which developing a future strategy can help businesses achieve long-term success?
- Strategic harmony: How can developing a future strategy help businesses align their short-term goals with long-term aims and work in a more agile manner?
- The role of data: Why is data important for understanding the operational context of a business and what should marketers be aware of when using previous benchmarks to evaluate current customer needs?
- Imagining the future: How can marketers use creative techniques to help frame a narrative about future customer priorities and requirements for change?