The car marque will discontinue its advertising with The Sun, the Times and the Sunday Times “until further notice”, the first brand to boycott a paper beyond the News of the World since the fresh accusations against the tabloid emerged earlier this week.
In a statement, Renault says: “Renault acknowledges the concerns raised regarding the allegations of phone hacking by the News of the World.
“Is a result of the seriousness of the allegations, we can confirm that Renault has reviewed its media advertising plans. We have decided to cease advertising in News International publications until further notice.”
Renault spent £266,000 advertising in the News of the World from January to May this year, according to Nielsen.
Before the News International announced it was to close the News of the World yesterday, Renault said : “Renault acknowledges the concerns raised regarding the allegations of phone hacking by the News of the World.
“As a result of the seriousness of the continued allegations, we can confirm that Renault has no media advertising currently planned with the News of the World, nor will it commit to any future activity, until the outcome of the formal investigations is complete.”
Mumsnet said earlier this week that it was to drop a Sky advertising campaign due to BSkyB’s link to News International newspapers.