Red Bull launches Thai drink in UK

Red Bull is launching an alcoholic drinks product, Sabai – a 5% ABV ready-to-drink wine spritzer. To support the launch, it is sponsoring the UK national tour of Thai female impersonators The Ladyboys of Bangkok.

Red Bull is launching an alcoholic drinks product, Sabai – a 5% ABV ready-to-drink wine spritzer. To support the launch, it is sponsoring the UK national tour of Thai female impersonators The Ladyboys of Bangkok.

Sabai, produced by Siam Winery, is a hibiscus-infused wine and mineral water mix, which was trialled in selected UK bars at the end of last year. In Thailand, it claims to sell 90 million bottles a year. It has secured off-trade listings in Tesco and Sainsbury’s, and will be in 600 bars.

Red Bull was originally launched in Thailand, and was brought to the West by Austrian entrepreneur Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns 49% of Red Bull Gmbh. The remaining 51% is owned by the Thai family that also owns Siam Winery. Red Bull UK is handling UK distribution for Siam Winery’s brands .

The brand name means “taking it easy” in Thai. Sabai is not being launched under the Red Bull name, and has its own branding reflecting its Thai heritage, according to Stephen Loftus, sales and marketing director for Siam Winery products at Red Bull UK.

Loftus adds that Sabai actually features in The Ladyboys’ routine, during a bar scene. “It’s a perfect fit for us,” he says.

The Ladyboys of Bangkok have been a hit at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe over the past two years, and are currently beginning a UK tour. In addition to The Ladyboys sponsorship, marketing support will include sampling at the Henley Regatta and Gay Pride London, and point-of-purchase advertising in retailers and bars.

Latest from Marketing Week

NOT REGISTERED? IT'S FREE, QUICK AND EASY!

Access Marketing Week’s wealth of insight, analysis and opinion that will help you do your job better.

Register and receive the best content from the only UK title 100% dedicated to serving marketers' needs.

We’ll ask you just a few questions about what you do and where you work. The more we know about our visitors, the better and more relevant content we can provide for them. And, yes, knowing our audience better helps us find commercial partners too. Don't worry, we won't share your information with other parties, unless you give us permission to do so.

Register now

THE BEST CONTENT

Our award winning editorial team (PPA Digital Brand of the Year) ask the big questions about the biggest issues on everything from strategy through to execution to help you navigate the fast moving modern marketing landscape.

THE BIGGEST ISSUES

From the opportunities and challenges of emerging technology to the need for greater effectiveness, from the challenge of measurement to building a marketing team fit for the future, we are your guide.

PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Information, inspiration and advice from the marketing world and beyond that will help you develop as a marketer and as a leader.

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3711 or email subscriptions@marketingweek.com

If you are looking for our Jobs site, please click here